This page will be updated as career opportunities within NAMI Fox Valley arise.
Position Opening: Outreach & Peer Program Specialist
NAMI Fox Valley is the Appleton, Wisconsin based affiliate of the National Alliance on Mental Illness, serving Outagamie, Calumet, Waupaca, and Northern Winnebago Counties. The agency works to support and empower everyone touched by mental illness, to eliminate stigma, and to nurture mental health recovery through support, education, outreach, and advocacy. We envision a community, free of stigma, that supports and promotes mental health and recovery.
Position Title & Accountability
The agency is seeking an Outreach & Peer Program Specialist who will report to the agency’s Community Outreach Coordinator with additional supervision by the agency’s Peer Program Coordinator.
This is a 32-hour-per-week (typically Monday through Thursday), 9-month-per-year (September through May) position. There may be opportunity for a limited number of hours in June, July, and August if the individual wishes to work during those months.
The majority of the individual’s weekly work schedule will be during business hours. Due to varying school and community presentation schedules, however, early morning and evening work will sometimes be required.
The Outreach & Peer Program Specialist will be responsible for helping to carry out the agency’s outreach programs, which provide mental health education to school students and to the community at large, and peer programs, which provide mental health peer support and peer-based education to individuals who live with mental health challenges. Approximately 75% of the position will involve supporting outreach programs and 25% of the position will involve supporting peer programs.
The individual’s primary activities will include, among other things, presenting mental health trainings, planning community workshops, overseeing the agency’s speakers bureau, working to ensure the smooth operation of support groups, overseeing certain aspects of volunteer recruitment and management, and providing general administrative support for NAMI Fox Valley’s outreach and peer programs. More detailed information on responsibilities can be found in the “Major Position Functions” section below.
Lived Experience With Mental Illness
This is a wonderful opportunity to work at an organization that values people’s lived experiences. The majority of our staff, board, and volunteers either live with a mental health condition or have a family member who does.
A qualified candidate for this position will have personally experienced a mental health condition and be willing to publicly self-identify as having that experience. Having the perspective of personal lived experience is a necessary component of certain aspects of working on NAMI Fox Valley’s peer programs and also adds great value to our outreach programs.
Major Position Functions
- Deliver mental health education presentations throughout the community, including to school students, service providers, and other audiences
- Recruit, train, and oversee NAMI Fox Valley’s speakers bureau
- Assist with the development and facilitation of mental health education and support opportunities for individuals who live with mental illness
- Coordinate registration, preparation of materials, evaluations, and other administrative needs for outreach and peer programs
- Maintain accurate records of timelines, deadlines, activities, and personnel needed to accomplish tasks
- Ensure timely submission of program data to the Data Specialist for purposes of tracking data and producing outcome reports
- Work with the Marketing Coordinator to ensure optimal, timely marketing of programs
- Process incoming volunteer applications, maintain volunteer files, and assist with volunteer orientation and management
- Other duties as assigned
- Deep understanding of and belief in the mission of NAMI Fox Valley
- Personal lived experience with a mental health condition and willingness to publicly self-identify as having that experience
- Excellent public speaking skills
- Comfort presenting to a wide range of constituencies, including school children
- Comfort troubleshooting technology needs at presentation venues
- Professional behavior and presentation of self in internal and external communication and activities
- Sound judgment and the ability to make reasonable decisions in the absence of direction
- Self-motivated with a high ability to work independently
- Ability to complete a high volume of varied responsibilities with excellent attention to detail and the belief that no task is too big or too small
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of partners and diverse populations
- Ethical behavior, cultural awareness, and the ability to build trust and rapport in all activities involving individuals of diverse backgrounds
- A positive attitude and a high level of emotional maturity
- Strong computer skills, including proficiently in Microsoft Office, Google applications, and Zoom
Two weeks (8 days) paid vacation annually
- Paid holidays as announced annually (typically including business days between Dec. 23 and Jan. 2, among other days)
- Casual work environment (dress according to the day’s calendar; casual wear typically is appropriate in the office)
- Paid training as approved by the Executive Director
Applications will be accepted through Thursday, July 29, 2021. Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to Maren Peterson, Executive Director, at email@example.com
NAMI Fox Valley is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions at NAMI Fox Valley are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race; color; religion or belief; national, social or ethnic origin; sex; age; disability; sexual orientation; gender identity and/or expression; family or parental status. NAMI Fox Valley values diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.