This 8-session education course focuses on mental-health recovery and is for any person living with a mental health condition. The course provides participants with comprehensive information on mental illness. It also teaches strategies for personal and interpersonal awareness, coping skills, and self-care strategies.
Classes are taught by trained mentors who are successfully managing their own conditions. The course provides a full approach to mental-health recovery, including individual empowerment, peer support, relapse prevention, communication skills, and general health.
- Is offered at no charge to participants
- Is taught by trained NAMI mentors who themselves have achieved a measure of recovery and are successfully managing their mental illness
- Follows a structured format in a relaxed and confidential setting
The course promotes effective paths to recovery and inspires a commitment to wellness.
- Share experiences with peers who also are working toward recovery
- Gain further insight into mental illness
- Gain knowledge of how to manage and cope with circumstances
- Learn to identify feelings, thoughts, behaviors, and events that can result in a possible relapse
- Learn how to be an active participant in any treatment plan
- Learn how to strengthen interpersonal relationships
What People Are Saying
“I am now aware that I’m not alone. I’d like to become more involved with NAMI and advocacy.”
“I’ve really learned how to cope with my triggers better, and I’m now on the path to truly loving myself.”
“NAMI Peer-to-Peer gave me hope when I was close to giving up. I realized that things can and do get better and that my mental health condition doesn’t define me. I learned how to speak up for myself, build a strong support network and make plans for my future. I felt welcome and like I was among friends. Most importantly, I felt heard and understood.”
“I’ve learned how to communicate with my parents about what’s going on with me.”
“It was really nice being with people who understood.”