This 8-week education course focuses on recovery and is for any person with serious mental illness. The course provides participants with comprehensive information on mental illness. It also teaches strategies for personal and interpersonal awareness, coping skills, and self-care strategies.
Classes are taught by trained mentors who are successfully managing their own conditions. The course provides a full approach to recovery, including individual empowerment, peer support, relapse prevention, communication skills, and general health.
- Meets in two-hour sessions once a week for ten weeks
- Is offered at no charge to participants
- Is taught by trained NAMI mentors who themselves have achieved a measure of recovery and are successfully managing their mental illness
- Follows a structured format in a relaxed and confidential setting
The course promotes effective paths to recovery and inspires a commitment to wellness.
- Share experiences with peers who also are working toward recovery
- Gain further insight into mental illness
- Gain knowledge of how to manage and cope with circumstances
- Learn to identify feelings, thoughts, behaviors, and events that can result in a possible relapse
- Learn how to be an active participant in any treatment plan
- Learn how to strengthen interpersonal relationships
Next Peer to Peer Class:
Thursdays, August 9-September 27, 2018