Family Sharing Support Group
The NAMI Fox Valley Family Sharing Support Groups are peer-led support groups for family members, caregivers and loved ones of individuals living with mental illness. The hallmark of a NAMI support group is leveraging the collective knowledge and experience of the other participants.
What To Expect
• Support groups are offered monthly, free of charge.
• Designed for loved ones (18 and over) of individuals living with mental illness.
• A pair of trained faciliators lead the group
• Confidential -- share as much or as little personal information as you want.
• Does not recommend or endorse any medications or other medical therapies for your family member.
• Guided by Principles of Support.
At each meeting, you may update the group on the current events in your life and then spend the bulk of the meeting in group discussion, or ‘group work’. The group addresses urgent issues of its members and participants share their learned experience, or ‘group wisdom’. As a participant, your voice is heard, and you can contribute to a dynamic that encourages empathy, productive discussion and a sense of community.
The support group can offer you practical advice on addressing issues related to mental illness and your loved one. It also gives you the appropriate space to have your personal needs met so that you can provide the best possible care for your family member. Taking time to voice your experiences and to hear from others may help you develop your inner reserves of strength. You may gain confidence in your ability to cope with your family member’s mental illness as well as knowledge on how to best access needed services for your family member.
The sessions are open to anyone seeking information and support in a comfortable and confidential environment. Participation is voluntary and no registration is required. New participants are welcome at any session.